Going to an English Premier League Football game has always been on my bucket list. I am so excited we moved to a city that has a team!! And what's more exciting is that the team colours are red and white which Gabel and I have in abundance from dressing up for Canada Days and for the Ottawa Senators. It's perfect really. So we bought tickets to go watch the Southampton Saints play West Ham. It was Sunday at 4pm and we spent the afternoon having some drinks and getting all dressed up in team colours. We had never been to St. Mary's Stadium before so our plan was to just follow the GPS on our phones. However, once we stepped outside it was so funny. The entire city was outside, all mobilized and headed in the same direction. All walking with a purpose. It was pouring rain but under the rain jackets you could see the red shirts poking out. So I quickly put away my phone and we honestly just followed the mob of people. Once at the stadium Gabel pointed out that there was an abundance of men but hardly any woman. The same held true once we got inside to our seats. I'd say the fans there were about 85% men and 15% women. Crazy unbalance. I don't think I saw a single girl our age either. We definitely got some looks as we sat there with our bright red lipstick and red hairbands. I don't care though, GO SAINTS!!! The game was really exciting and Southampton definitely dominated possession. However at the end of the game it was a nil nil tie which was disappointing. We were really hoping to witness at least ONE Southampton goal. I'm sure we'll be going to lots of games though because it was really fun. The fans take it sooo seriously and whenever the a player doesn't trap the ball properly they FREAK out. Whenever I finally get paid I'm going to march down to the West Quay shopping mall and go to the Saints store there and buy myself a jersey. On the way home we marched behind the mob again in the pouring rain.
Here's some pics from the day.

+copy.jpeg)
.jpeg)

No comments:
Post a Comment