Tuesday, September 17, 2013

It Just Occurred To Me..

If you're a regular reader of my blog it probably sounds like I'm having a horrible time here recently and that it's very difficult and stressful.

Honestly, I am having a really good time here. There are days that I cry and days that I stress but all in all it has been such a rewarding experience. The city is beautiful, we love the sightseeing, our flat is fun and in a great location. Gabel and I are having fun cooking together and watching The Office every night. We take care of each other and we survive. What I love most of all are the triumphs. It is so nice to know that even in the craziest of situations, I am pulling through. I am surviving and adapting and conquering. I have moved to another country and I often find myself places I've never been to and I manage to make it work. I've conquered ferries, trains, buses, and taxis. And that's a good feeling. I'm learning to be stronger and to be a good problem solver and how to be resourceful. Teaching at Ryde is fun. I'm reading Holes with one of my classes which is a really great book and I love seeing them interested in it. Supply teaching is allowing me to visit all different cities and towns in Europe. We have a trip planned to Germany in two weeks for Oktoberfest. I have officially learned my way alll around Southampton.

I also had that moment today when I went from feeling like a tourist to feeling like a resident. I was standing on the platform in Basingstoke on my way home and waiting for a train to Southampton. A woman came up to me looking quite lost and asked me if I knew how to get to Southampton. I almost laughed because almost every day I've either felt like it or actually did go up to a stranger in near tears and ask them how to get somewhere. And someone was asking ME?! But then I realized that I knew the answer. I could help her. I was a pro at training now. So I told her I was also going to Southampton and that we wanted the Cross Country train to Bournemouth and that she could get on any of those coaches and that after half an hour we would be at Southampton. And she was grateful. I just might be an actual Southampton resident now. Things are looking up!

No comments:

Post a Comment